Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Cover Letters

I think that the advice offered in this section on cover letters is very helpful and has given me a new perspective on cover letters. A cover letter should not me a mass blanket statement to whoever. It should be personalized and specific to each company to which I apply. The resume is meant to tell the employer specifics about me and my qualifications, and I think this is a good point. The cover letter is what will relate me to a specific company and show them why I am a good match for the company. I should be able to relate to them specifically and articulately what benefits I will bring to their company. The advice on proofing cover letters as well as resumes seems obvious, but it is extremely important. I am not sure how I feel about including a post-script section to a cover letter. If it was really that important, shouldn't I have though about it in the first place when writing my letter? I think it could make it seem too informal. Including a testimony sounds like a good idea, though. I think that could really provide a potential employer with a genuine glimpse at me as a potential employee.

No comments:

Post a Comment